AFL-CIO & WTO

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Oct 8 16:28:03 PDT 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I just spoke with someone with good contacts within the AFL-CIO who
> says the Seattle Weekly article I forwarded here the other day - the
> one reporting that labor had pretty much withdrawn from the WTO
> battle - is hogwash circulated by self-aggrandizing Naderites who
> want to position themselves as the authentic militants (and cardboard
> dinosaurs are an important part of any such strategy).

I can't vouch for any other state, but the new leadership of the Oregon AFL-CIO (led by Tim Nesbitt, one of the dynamic new union leaders who cut their teeth on micropolitics and media activism) is putting serious resources into the anti-WTO thing, organizing an anti-WTO train ride, and in general preparing massive sleeplessness in Seattle for the Overlords of Global Capital. Could be that state-level activism is ahead of the national leadership here. Gotta run to a union meeting, more on this later --

-- Dennis