AFL-CIO restructuring

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Oct 9 14:48:26 PDT 1999

> I thought the Dems did nothing about the minimum wage when they
> controlled Congress - not even a hearing on the topic. Am I
> remembering wrong? The increase took effect almost two years after
> the Republican sweep in '94.
> Doug

Timing yes, implication no. The Card/Krueger book helped a lot. I think EPI had a role as well.

It was the Dems making an issue of the min wage that got it thru, not voluntary GOP largesse.

It turned out to be surprisingly good politics to support the min wage, something not appreciated until Teddy K was able to make an issue of it.

mbs