debating libertarians

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 13:11:02 PDT 1999

In message <004701bf129d$239388a0$d818c897 at bellatlantic.net>, Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> writes

>> I think that there is a racist element in this emphasis on Waco (just as
>> . . .
>The role of race in the treatment of these two is
>pretty obvious. Waco is discussed often, MOVE
>hardly at all.
>
>Part of the racial source is the outrage of the
>far right re: Waco, which grief is not equally
>apportioned to MOVE victims.

Of course it is true that the right is concerned about Waco and the left about MOVE. But that is a weakness of both.

As to the race element you ought to be careful. Koresh's Church, as a breakaway of a breakaway of the Plymouth Brethren recruited heavily in Manchester's black (and often non-conformist community). On the day of the attack, The Manchester Evening News carried a black bordered front page with portrait photos of the dead from the City. As I remember it all but a couple were black (or West Indian, as we sometimes say here). There was little doubt in Manchester that day that the Waco siege was indeed a race issue, and one surprisingly similar to the Move debacle. -- Jim heartfield