re Bloody execution photos draw gamut of responses (fwd)

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Oct 10 14:51:55 PDT 1999

I would respond to Max's response like this. The recent *mass* deaths that occured in Britain are not a little related to privatization, which we can thank Thatcher and her epigones for.

Or even better, Pinochet is certainly filled with responsibility for the death and torture of untold thousands of Chileans, and at least one American journalist. I might like to see Mr. Pinochet suffer terribly for his crimes, which far surpass those of that guy who was recently electocuted by the US gov't. But, I know two things. One, ain't gonnna happen, ever never ever. And 2, responding to the suffering of the rapist/murderer in the photos with glee only reinforces the likelihood that more Pinochet/Thatcher style mass murders will occur as well as the phenomenon of 'blue collar' crime in general.

This aint just middle class liberal soft heartedness speaking. It's just practical knowledge about the class politics and effects of the DP...

I suppose that I should feel happy when some welfare cheat is caught too...but knowledget informed by struggles by welfare rights organizations would likewise tell me, 'not practical.'

Steve

Stephen Philion Lecturer/PhD Candidate Department of Sociology 2424 Maile Way Social Sciences Bldg. # 247 Honolulu, HI 96822