Clinton on independence movements?

elena spectra at elits.rousse.bg
Mon Oct 11 14:23:01 PDT 1999

Thought this sounds puzzling... (complete article at the URL below) www.canoe.ca/NationalTicker/CANOE-wire.Federalism-Conference.html

October 8, 1999

Clinton questions independence movements

MONT-TREMBLANT, Que. (CP) -- U.S. President Bill Clinton delivered

a stinging criticism of independence movements around the world Friday,

saying that even in the worst situations -- like East Timor -- remaining part of

a federation is preferable.........

"It seems to me that the suggestion that a people of a given ethnic group or

tribal group or religious group can only have a meaningful political existence

if they are an independent nation . . . is a questionable assertion in a global

economy where co-operation pays greater benefits in every area of life than

destructive competition," Clinton told a rapt audience of about 700.

His 45-minute speech held up federalism as the system best equipped to

advance humanity and self-government. East Timor has been beset by

violence since residents of the Indonesian territory voted for independence.

"If every racial and ethnic and religious group that occupies a specific piece

of land . . . became a separate nation, we might have 800 countries in

world, we may have a difficult time having a functioning economy or

functioning global polity," Clinton said.

"Maybe we'd have 8,000 (countries). How low can you go?" .......

Clinton, who earlier Friday opened a new U.S. embassy in the heart of

Ottawa, acknowledged in his speech that federations -- even his own -- are

faced with constant challenges and need to constantly evolve.

"I believe we will be looking for ways . . . to integrate our operations, for

mutual interest, without giving up our sovereignty. And where there are

dissatisfied groups in sections of countries, we should be looking for ways to

satisfy anxieties and legitimate complaints without disintegration."