internet stalking

Bill Cochrane billc at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Oct 11 16:06:00 PDT 1999

This kind of think can get serious real quickly as Rob Schaap and I found out when moderating the Thaxis marxism list - a sorry tale that need not be related here, the only thing we could come up with was having every sub, or even every message approved by the moderators, so that we could try and weed out suspect subscribers ( I know Dougs got nothing better to do so perhaps he could try this for a week or two). Another option is to configure the list in such away that when people subscribe they receive a pseudonym and their real ID & e-mail address is not revealed to any one but the list moderators - I've mucked around a bit with automating this process but as I have to call a technician to program my answer phone I doubt that much will come of it. As to avoiding the attention of these people about all you can do is use their tactics and adopt a pseudonym(s) and get an account(s) from hotmail or the like or post through an anonymous e-mail server(bad, perhaps illegal in many places I think). As far as I can see though your pretty well fucked once they actually identify who you are.

cheers Bill C