empty gravesite

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 13 12:19:13 PDT 1999

David Horne wrote:

>To which I respond with a resounding "so what?"

Lots of stories of Serb atrocities were circulated to justify NATO's bombing, before, during, and after the fact. It turns out that lots of them just weren't true. Like I said in introducing the forward, I'm not denying that Serbs did many horrible things. But in that they're not alone. The plucky Kosovar Albanians have done horrible things too. Ditto our allies the Croats. There's a widespread impulse, from the Oval Office to the fringes of the political spectrum, to make the Balkan wars into an episode of good guys vs. bad guys. I'm saying it's a lot more complicated than that. I'm no fan of Saddam Hussein, but the incubator baby stories turned out to be pure invention too.

Doug