cricket (was: Re: Who pulled my bloody chain?)

jmage at panix.com jmage at panix.com
Wed Oct 13 19:48:36 PDT 1999

...how about this from Adorno or Dorkheimer or both in Dialektik der Aufklaerung (in the John Cumming - pace Dennis - (mis)translation):

The teams of modern sport, whose interaction is so precisely regulated that no member has any doubt about his role, and which provide a reserve for every player, have their exact counterpart in the sexual teams of *Juliette,* which employ every moment usefully, neglect no human orifice, and carry out every function. Intensive, purposeful activity prevails in spirt [sic...my 1989 Continuum Publishing Company edition] as in all branches of mass culture, while the inadequately initiated spectator cannot divine the difference in the combinations, or the meaning of variations, by the arbitrarily determined rules.

[how about the statistics in both baseball and 120 Journees ?]

john mage