food stamps? was Re: [fla-left] Bloody

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 13 21:09:39 PDT 1999

Michael Hoover wrote:

> Repeated use of direct action produced policy benefits. By mid-
> 1970s, almost 20 million people were receiving a total of more than
> $4 billion in food stamps. But militancy had receded, replaced
> by 'poor people's' advocates, many of whom had cut their political
> teeth in civil rights and antiwar movements. So-called 'public
> interest' groups placed less emphasis on demonstrations and more
> emphasis on 'working within the system' (lobbying and litigation), ...

This is the core of an argument against supporting even the most left-wing Democrats. The only route to recovering any of the lost ground of the last 20 years or moving beyond that is through direct action -- and the Democratic Party's essential task in the world is to prevent direct action. I still believe that this cessation of direct actionis and shift to lobbying is the main reason for the failure of ERA ratification in Illinois.

Carrol