UN finds no evidence of Timor massacres

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Thu Oct 14 23:45:26 PDT 1999

G'day Michael,

> "But we don't believe that people in their thousands have been killed
> and their bodies buried or thrown in the sea. If this had been the case
> we would have found evidence of this by now and none has been found."

This ain't worth broaching until they get out that oh-so-expensive voter-registration document and do a roll-call, Mike. My $14.37 is still on a figure in the multiple thousands (based partly on how many women and children were deported without husbands and eldest sons). Just as it suited NATO to overstate what had been happening in Kosovo, it suits just about everybody with a voice in this right now (especially whilst they're awaiting the results of some very unpredictable weeks/months in Djakarta) to understate what's happened in East Timor.

Neither Milosevic nor his henchpersons ever proudly boasted "Imi hela ho rai maibe lahia (you keep the land but there will be no people)".

Chers, Rob.