Jared Israel

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Oct 14 22:43:04 PDT 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [bounced because it had an attachment - who is this Jared Israel guy
> anyway? I keep seeing his name around]

Here's a bio from /www.emperors-clothes.com/ The website seems to have grown out of an extended article he posted on the Counterpunch website in May called The Emperor's Clothes, cataloging all the times the New York Times lied about the bombing in Sudan. Maybe Jeffrey St. Clair knows something about him.

Editor Jared Israel

owns a small business in the Boston area. In a previous life he was a

leader of the student anti-war movement (Vietnam) but he dropped out

of politics for good in the mid-1970s and became Respectable.

"Or so I thought. I stayed away for 20 years. What finally got me was

the bombing of that pill factory in Sudan. I found the media coverage

completely dishonest. Not just inaccurate, dishonest. I was already

upset with the NY Times over its stories about Yugoslavia. I read the

paper very carefully and it was obvious, from internal evidence, that

the powers-that-be had targeted the Serbian people and were using

various proxy forces to break up Yugoslavia. And the news reports

created a whole substitute reality. I think they count on people

reading in a hurry, skipping over things.

"I knew Yugoslavia is - has been throughout this century - the key to

stability in the Balkans. So trying to break up Yugoslavia was a clear

tip-off. The US and Germany were making a play for the entire area.

Trying to corner the market, so to speak.

"Then the Times lied about the Sudan bombing and the whole way the

government and the media handled that told me: now that there is no

Soviet Union to hold the U.S. government in check, they figure they

can gor for hegemony. I wrote an expose, sent it to a few people.

[See: Upside-Down Journalism] And then came the long drawn-out crisis

in October '98 where Holbrooke kept threatening to bomb Yugoslavia. I

started looking around the Internet for other people who were upset.

"I see the hand of the US government in that Islamic Fundamentalist

rebellion in Russia, in [Taiwanese leader] Lee's abrupt change to a

policy of provoking China, in the fighting between India and Pakistan.

The US is definitely involved against the Angolan and Congolese

governments in Africa, and is deeply involved in the repression in

Columbia. If you count up the conflicts going on now around the world

that the US is overtly or covertly involved in, it begins to look like

the start of World War III.

What gives me hope is, many more people - probably the majority of

people in other countries but also many more people in the US - are

becoming aware. And by the way, Emperors-clothes.com now has readers

in 34 [now 42!] countries."