www.freepublicityforguilttrippingpatonisingpopstarscum.org.com

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Fri Oct 15 06:55:46 PDT 1999

More Stephen Wells on NetAid:

http://www.nme.com/reviews/reviews/19991011101022.html

Lots of choice bits but the best are reserved for George Michael (who incidently refused to sign release papers to show his "performance" because it was so bad--any notion that this event is about a "cause" however vague is exploded):

"He's got hundreds of black people stood behind him doing backing vocals! What a metaphor! And he's singing 'Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?' And once again, you've got to ask yourself--Is this Irony? Or is it just "irony"? Or merely a situation itself which is ironic? Or are we being too cynical here? . . .Because that's what really fucks me off about these charity do's--being asked to dig deep by averagely talented chimps who've got millions and millions stashed away."

Amen brother Wells! Is hyperhypocrisy a word or are "we" being too cynical here?

Peace,

Jim

"Modern society lies in thrall to the global domination of a banalizing trend that also dominates it at each point where the most advanced forms of commodity consumption have seemingly broadened the panopoly of roles and objects available to choose from. . . . Celebrities figure various styles of life and various views of society which anyone is supposedly free to embrace and pursue in a global manner."

Guy Debord, *The Society of the Spectacle* (59-60).