More good news for death penalty fans

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 07:38:44 PDT 1999

[Just off the wire -- if the executioner's aim was good, I guess this guy's head didn't "explode" in a way that would satisfy certain vengeance seekers hereabouts, but I assume this event, if conducted in the usual public way, presented a spectacle many would find most satisfying.]

Saudis Behead Convicted Killer

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- A Saudi man convicted of murder was beheaded in western Saudi Arabia on Friday, the Interior Ministry said.

Sultan bin Salem al-Shihri was beheaded in the western port city of Jiddah, according to a ministry statement.

Al-Shihri was convicted of fatally shooting compatriot Abdul Aziz bin Abdul Rahman al-Amri following a dispute, the statement said without providing any further details.

Al-Shihri's execution brings the total number of people beheaded in Saudi Arabia this year to at least 91. Twenty-nine people were executed in all of 1998.

The kingdom's Islamic courts impose death sentences for murder, rape, drug trafficking and armed robbery. Executions are usually carried out with a sword in public.

Human rights groups have criticized Saudi executions, claiming the condemned people generally do not receive fair trials.

[end]

Carl