Linux guru Raymond accused of 'vulgar Marxism'

David Jennings [MSAI] djenning at ai.uga.edu
Fri Oct 15 09:02:30 PDT 1999

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>David Jennings wrote:
>
>Funny that you don't understand Eric's politics and yet you label
>him a "gun nut" ("too" ...?) presumably for this kind of writing:
>
>| Nothing most of us will ever do combines the moral weight of
>| life-or-death choice with the concrete immediacy of the moment
>| as thoroughly as the conscious handling of instruments deliberately
>| designed to kill. As such, there are lessons both merciless and
>| priceless to be learned from bearing arms -- lessons which are
>| not merely instructive to the intellect but transformative of
>| one's whole emotional, reflexive, and moral character.

Yeah, something like that. "Ethics from the Barrel of a Gun". And here's the punch line: "The first and most important of these lessons is this: it all comes down to you."

But I'm curious -- what special something is there in understanding Raymond's politics? Just how am I not qualified? What subtlety is there to understanding something like this:

"I still don't believe what we've come to. The second age of the racial double standard, a sick parody of the bad old days when a black man was presumed guilty. Marion Barry abuses the D.C. mayor's office and snorts crack on video and `movement' blacks march in the streets to get him acquitted. `Afro-centrists' agitate for their own (segregated) schools and curricula that would consciously try to write the white man out of the black child's version of history. Race-norming. Quotas. `Diversity' enforcers coercing students and academics throughout America's universities to avoid any action or speech or even thought that might be `racially offensive', while never doubting their own entitlement to treat anyone with a white skin as an unindicted co-conspirator in the Plot to Oppress Blacks -- guilty until proven innocent. When did the fight for freedom decay into this obscene scramble for handouts and privileges and discrimination for our color this week, please?"

Guns are great, those blacks are entitled to too much, and everything really boils down to personal responsibility (versus, say, class struggle). Am I missing something?

Independently of hagiography, the point was that if anybody looking for revolutionaries (vulgar or otherwise) in the IT department will be disappointed.

>I think you should stick to listing what you don't know.

and I think you're being a bully. Lurkers are people too!

-d

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Jennings SSS II | Agri-Services Labs CAES, UGA | (706) 542-5350 ---------------------------------------------------------------------- "Mr Greenspan said market crashes often seem inevitable in retrospect but are very difficult to anticipate." - Financial Times (15-10-1999)