kooky brit journos on holiday

elena spectra at elits.rousse.bg
Fri Oct 15 11:12:54 PDT 1999

Hi, Ted Untranslatable So Wonder-ful Tonite

>> Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 1999 *****
>
>one wonders why they even bother.

Does one (wonder)? Really-really-really? Or just enjoying the (yeah, enlightening, oh intricate...) mind-game?

And the wonder of it all is that I just don't realise *why* then (+/- even) bother?

This is not a rhetorical question.

Hushed Puppy Claptonmaniac on a 5-year-waiting-plan

P.S. At http://www.medienhilfe.ch
>From IWPR'S BALKAN CRISIS REPORT, No. 82, October 8, 1999
PLENTY OF BREAD FOR THE HAPPY FOLK IN THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF RTS TV SERBIA According to the regime media, the poor are eating better than ever before in a wonderful TV world where Serb society flourishes and happy workers rebuild their communities. Small wonder people want to check out of the real Serbia and move into the virtual one... By Vlado Mares in Belgrade *****
>From IWPR'S BALKAN CRISIS REPORT, No. 82, October 8, 1999
HATE SPEECH IN PRISTINA - THE KOSOVO MEDIA WARS COULD START HERE A KLA-linked news agency created a firestorm when it launched a vicious attack on a leading independent publisher and political personality. The media wars inside Kosovo may be only just beginning. By Anthony Borden in Pristina ***** THREATENING SIGNALS TO JOURNALISTS AIM ZAGREB, 7 October, 1999 ***** IFEX - News from the international freedom of expression community ALERT UPDATE - FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF YUGOSLAVIA 8 October 1999 Resurgence of hate speech in Kosovo SOURCE: Reporters sans frontières (RSF), Paris **Updates IFEX alerts of 23 September, 9 August, 18 and 16 June, 29 and 26 April, 26, 25, 23 and 22 March 1999** *****
>From ZERI DIGEST # 1709, October 2, 1999
MEDIA: KINGDOM OF CONFUSION By Astrit SALIHU ***** Don't Shoot the Messenger by Ljiljana Smajlovic 7 October 1999 ***** THIS WEEK IN THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNALISTS' NETWORK The bulletin below highlights the latest media training and assistance news from Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States, Africa and Latin America (in Spanish). For complete texts, visit the International Journalists' Network (IJNet) at http://www.ijnet.org. IJNet is published by the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ). Issue #24 October 4 - 8, 1999.

Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) and the Newly Independent States (NIS) http://www.ijnet.org/News/CEENIS

Network for media professionalism established in Southeastern Europe A new Balkan network of media training institutes and non-governmental organizations was founded in September.

The South-East European Network for Professionalisation of the Media was founded by representatives of media training centers from 12 countries who gathered for the annual meeting of the mid-career training section of the European Journalism Training Association (EJTA) in Albania's capital, Tirana, on September 24-25.

More than 10 institutions from Albania, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania and Yugoslavia joined the network as founding members.

Network organizers told IJNet that the Danish government and the Soros Foundation have agreed to assist the network and are very interested in funding regional projects in media training in the Balkans.