NLR, Branka Magas, & Against the Current (was RE: Gitlin's 'Yes'Echoed Among Leftists)

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 17 23:21:49 PDT 1999

In message <380AA934.1F666841 at mail.ilstu.edu>, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes
>The NLR becomes duller and more trivial issue by issue.

I don't agree. It is still very good, if often irritating (as all challenging literature should be).

>some account. Where does Norman Geras publish now? He was one
>of their more interesting writers.

Sad to say Geras' latest book (for Verso) the Compact of Mutual Indifference, is a tortuous moral case for humanitarian imperialism, along the lines of a critique of the Right of Nations to Self- Determination as neo-liberalism. At least, that's what I thought.

-- Jim heartfield