NLR, Branka Magas, & Against the Current (was RE: Gitlin's 'Yes'Echoed Among Leftists)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 18 07:11:30 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

>In message <380AA934.1F666841 at mail.ilstu.edu>, Carrol Cox
><cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes
> >The NLR becomes duller and more trivial issue by issue.
>
>I don't agree. It is still very good, if often irritating (as all
>challenging literature should be).

I don't agree with Carrol that NLR is getting dull & trivial; there's always lots of good stuff in there. It is, though, not much of a "Marxist" journal anymore. Robin Blackburn has become enamored of pension fund activism; edit board member Tom Nairn has declared himself a nationalist and pro-capitalist; and edit board member Alex Cockburn has buddied up to Christian nutcase Larry Pratt.

Doug