Doing a Kant (was Re: Rhetorical Gestures)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 19 14:38:45 PDT 1999

Hi Doug:
>>doing a Kant
>
>I don't know what this means. If I read Milton, and derive
>inspiration and pleasure from it, does that mean I'm "doing a
>Milton"? How about that creepy fascist Pound, who nonetheless wrote
>some fine poetry? Could you explain the difference between engaging
>critically but productively with Kant or any other DWEM and "doing"
>him?

Reading Kant is not the same as doing a Kant. The latter involves subscribing in some way to Kant's epistemology and ontology, with their attendant political implications. Some postmodern philosophers, such as Zizek, do so explicitly, while others do so implicitly. The same must be said for reading Nietzsche and doing a Nietzsche, reading Heidegger and doing a Heidegger, reading Hegel and doing a Hegel, etc. Read Kant, but don't do a Kant.

Yoshie