Doing a Kant (was Re: Rhetorical Gestures)

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Oct 19 15:38:12 PDT 1999

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Read Kant, but don't do a Kant.

Maybe we could actually *grow* a Kant inside of a test-tube, translating all those texts into DNA patterns and then firing the resultant blob up with some C+ code on one of those multiprocessor units. After updating its files with the full post-1789 history of Germany, I imagine it'd have an ideologically-complected nervous breakdown and run off to join the squatter movement in Berlin's Kreuzberg district. There'd be this, like, giant brain in a psychedelic green vat, muttering to itself about Emma Goldman. As William Burroughs once said, science, pure science!

-- Dennis