Stratfor's zero-based intelligence method

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu Oct 21 06:53:00 PDT 1999

...The company moved to Austin,
> Texas in the summer of 1997, decidedly centering its operations in a key
> city of the information age...The
> company has had business clients in defense, media, telecommunication,
> banking, law, textiles, petrochemicals, forestry, and government.

I would note that Stratfor's existence and anti-interventionism just illustrates the point that there is a large business consistituency attuned to opposing interventionism. Despite claims made to the contrary, there is little evidence of a clear business class interest in military intervention in this era, now that the Soviet threat has disappeared. Stratfor is a good illustration of a constituency that sees interventionism as counterproductive in an age when there are many other forms of economic power that can secure and expand investments globally.

--Nathan Newman