Who pulled my bloody chain? (of marsupials & rarebits)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 24 09:50:43 PDT 1999

[posted from a non-sub'd address]

Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 02:33:06 +1000 From: Rob Schaap <carob at dynamite.com.au>

G'day Observers,

I'm sure you've all been enduring sleepless nights over this seemingly endless week. Sweat-painted brows furrowing and tired minds churning ... the very consciousness tyrannised by the questions that would just not go away. Was Daniel right? Would Wales beat Australia?

For did not the Cambrian sage speak thus:

>>I've got a bottle of Laphroaig here which says
>>that not all Northern hemisphere countries are as lily-livered as the
>>Irish, and that Wales will meet Australia on the 23rd of October and
murder
>>them. And all I ask for as odds is your complete capitulation to the
>>general superiority of the Cambrian nation, as proved by our shortly
>>forthcoming victory. And of course, dragons do have rather nasty, scaly
>>hides. Cymru am byth!

And did not the doubting marsupial retort thus:

>I don't think the Wallabies are quite as good as they think they are, but,
alas,
>it won't be the Welsh who expose them (you'll have a good first half ...

And so it came to pass, for the Welsh trailed but 10 points to 9 at half-time.

> ... and fall away after that, as our lustrously-skinned Adonises call on
their awesome reserves).

And so did Wales come to pass, for the final score was: Lustrously-Skinned Adonises 24, Wales ... er ... 9.

Quoth poor deflated Daniel:

>>Oh yeh, and I'm likely to be on a tour of the States next week, marketing.

Hopefully not making grand claims for a commodity that can't back the rhetoric, Daniel - you know how you get carried away.

>>So if I don't get back to you tout suite, it's probably because I'm
>>jetlagged, rather than "welshing" on the bet.

There was, alas, no bet. But what is an expensive bottle of single-malt compared to a free giggle at another's squirming discomfort, eh?

Not for me the alienating form of the commodity, comrades!

Yours in overweening smugness, Onan the Unbearable.