Asian Monetary Fund

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 24 10:41:15 PDT 1999

[from the excellent Gerard Greenfield]

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 01:01:29 +0800 From: Gerard Greenfield <gjg at PACIFIC.NET.HK>

After two years of regional conferences on the Asian economic crisis, the ICFTU's Asian and Pacific Regional Organisation (APRO) has now focused its energy and resources on support for an Asian version of the IMF called the "Asian Monetary Fund" (AMF).

For those interested, I've written a short critique of this proposal in a paper called "Democratic Trade Union Responses to Globalisation: A Critique of the ICFTU-APRO's "Asian Monetary Fund" Proposal."

The paper can be read online here: <http://www.labournet.org/1999/Oct/amf.html>.

This is the original version of a paper prepared for the Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions (HKCTU) in September 1999. A much revised version was presented by the HKCTU Executive Secretary, Elizabeth Tang, under the title "Globalisation & Labour: "Global Control and Its Effects": An Asian Trade Union Perspective" at a conference in Sweden, September 9, 1999. The views expressed here are my own and do not reflect those of HKCTU.

In solidarity,

Gerard