Zizek on Havel

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 26 06:24:41 PDT 1999

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:46:32 +0200 Russell Grinker <grinker at mweb.co.za> wrote:

> I merely pointed to Ghandi's role in damping down popular
resistance and the consequences of this for the development of the liberation struggle in India.

Yes, but the explicitly stated goal of the movement was achieved in 1947. So we have to be careful here. Yes, Gandhi dampened resistance which worked against the movement. Yes, the resistance movement didn't utilize its potential to their full advantage, nor do they actively seek measures of noncooperation with their strategic opponent.

> I also never questioned the "courage" of participants in
the resistance movement. Ghandi was not *the movement* and in fact undermined its effectivenss.

I agree. But the strengths of his leadership tactics and nonviolent strategies employed should not be overlooked because of this.

> It is testament to the limited expectations of the "left"
today that this charlatan can even get a look in as a great twentieth century leader and his spoiling tactics be recommended on this list.

Three kinds of nonviolent actions: 1. protest and persuasion (mass demonstrations, petitions, protest funerals, walk-outs, renouncing honours, picketing, mock awards, fraternization, vigils, sppeches / advocacy, mock elections, symbolic public acts, parades and marches, 'haunting' officials), 2. noncooperation (civil disobedience, strikes, economic boycotts, tax withholding, credit withholding, legal obstruction, providing sanctuary, rent withholding, diplomatic noncooperation, resignationof posts, refusal to participate, social boycotts, nonrecognition of appointed officials, judicial noncooperation), 3. intervention (overloading facilities, sit-ins, creating parallel institutions, nonviolent blockades, teach-ins, seizure of assets, alterantive markets, guerrillla theatre, counterfeiting, forcible exposure of identity, nonviolent invasion, nonviolent sabotage, seeking imprisonment, dumping commodities).

And I'm just a no-nothing chump. I can do all this right now, and I don't even need to go to boot camp.

ken