The Flying Roaches of Florida (Re: review of bhaskar)

frances bolton fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Fri Oct 29 14:50:53 PDT 1999

Kelley wrote:

>heh. tell jordan. i called it a roach. mocked floridians for calling
>them friggin palmetto bugs and then being so bold as to name streets,
>cul-de-sacs and housing developments after 'em. it's even the state insect
>i hear! he informed me that they weren't cockroaches

For some reason states are now designing quarters (well, they're choosing an image for the head of it, anyway). There was some talk of putting the "palmetto bug" on the Florida quarter, but I'm sure they won't. Last spring a flying roach collided with my face. I did not deal well with it.

Tangentially, Frances