politics in the academic factory

oudies at flash.net oudies at flash.net
Fri Oct 29 15:34:32 PDT 1999

ange asked:

>btw, a more detailed run down on the politics of ASA would interest me.

i'd really want to sit down and more carefully read the volumes of email and web links about the nasty details before i felt i could 'read' it. all hell broke loose in august. and the manure is flying from the spreader in all directions now as the editors and head wackos are trying to placate and backtrack and cover their tails. not that it matters much. i hardly expect anything to change. quant and the standard conceptualization of race/gender/class as merely one variable among others is where the money is at. and as such, those people will always be well funded and loved by their institutions who get at least 25% off the top of social science research grants from the get-go.

the letter below presents it mainly as about race/racism/racial politics, but there is more to it than that, although this latest b.s. is enough to make me heave. i can't believe they are so stupid. rant over.

nice to make sure that they picked a *woman* of color eh? how friggin convenient.

> Mary Romero has written a very principled and courageous letter
> rejecting an invitation to serve as a deputy editor of ASR. She
> asked me to forward her letter to various Sociology lists. Mary
> Romero has refused to be used by the liberal racists who run the ASA
> and who love to speak about "diversity" while carrying out and
> supporting racist policies. Please disseminate this letter as widely
> as possible.

> Steve Rosenthal

no fuckinshit! talk the talk, no walk the walk. but what is new?????