litcritter bashing...)

Vikash Yadav vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu
Sat Oct 30 07:50:16 PDT 1999

Dear Jim, A few quick points... Not just Foucault but virtually all pomos attempt to do away with the distinctions between ideology and truth, ideology and science. 1. Why do you believe that ideology and truth are always mutually exclusive categories? I don't think that 'virtually all' post-modernists deny the existence of scientific truth. From what I can tell post modernists see scientific technologies as real, social and narrative all at once (see for example, Law and Hassard, Actor Network Theory and After, 1999, p. 22). That is why they cannot account for the efficacy of science in the prediction, control , and the understanding of natural phenomena. 2. I think you do a disservice to the scientific process to portray it as so efficient and rational. Science can only be considered rational and efficient through a process of narrative re-construction. There seems to be a belief that through 'falsification' science achieves efficiency and rationality. However, it is neither wise nor logical for a scientist to discard a theory because of empirical falsification. There is always the possibility that the empirical evidence was incorrect or that the technology to measure an empirical phenomenon was not accurate enough to conform to the theory. Progress in science does not occur through falsification, but by the development of progressive research programs that continue to ask and answer interesting questions. I do not want to belabor old debates in the philosophy of science, which have been dealt with elsewhere please see Imre Lakatos, Criticism and the Growth of Knowledge. This is also why a pomo Marxism is untenable (Doug take note). 3. There have been very few radical, original, and influential Marxists thinkers since Marx and Engels. Only Georges Sorel comes to mind. Perhaps it is not such a bad idea if Marxists were a bit more eclectic? Vikash Yadav St. Antony's College, Oxford

On the whole, I find that discussions and debates with pomos tend to less rewarding than the debates that I sometimes have with religious believers in the atheist newsgroups on Usenet. The pomos are confident that there is no such thing as truth but that they possess it anyway. Generally, I find pomos to be far more dogmatic and less openminded than religionists. Most curious I should say.

Jim F.