foucault? relativist? ROTFL!

Maureen Therese Anderson manders at midway.uchicago.edu
Sat Oct 30 06:59:55 PDT 1999

Hi Charles,

>Charles: Sahlins was always a card in class.

Back then did he ever recount the Father-Lejeune-snot-story? Whenever he'd teach the intro grad course here, he'd have half the class rolling on the floor with it. (and now that he doesn't teach anymore it's starting to acquire local-folklore status.)

>Wonder where that critique of Foucault is .

His critiques of F. are dispersed (as are his concurrences). But he did have a little pamphlet out several years ago, put out by some informal press/collective in the UK and which I'm pretty sure is still in print, called _Waiting for Foucault_. In effect a collection of one-liners and such (oy, some of which don't work as well on paper) reflecting his concerns about the academy in the early '90s. So if you're nostalgic for Sahlins-wit, and wanna see where he's taken it more recently, that's what you should track down.

--M