Science vs. Ideology (was Re: foucault? relativist? ROTFL!)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Oct 31 19:14:10 PST 1999

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

> Yoshie wrote: All truly scientific endeavors
> contain the kernel of truth beyond ideology
>
> What is it about reality, language and mind that "allows" this to be a
> possibility at all?
>
> ian

In the context of this thread, which is about the possibility of making positive affirmations of truth, questions rather than propositions seem to me lacking in decorum. Answer your own question and see how others respond.

A little under 60 years ago there was a bit of filler in the Reader's Digest that was of some epistemological interest. The writer tells of her son coming into the house and asking her where he came from. She replied with a 30 minute discussion of reproduction and human sexuality. His response: That's interesting, but Sally comes from St. Louis and Jim comes from Chicago. Where do *I* come from?

Questions (unless accompanied by *some* sort of answer to identify their domain of relevance) are inherently ambiguous and obscurantist. In teaching I always insisted that students give some answer, even a wholly fake one, before I would respond to their questions. It worked usually.

Carrol