fun rumor

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Sep 3 04:41:18 PDT 1999

[Sometimes I think the only difference between Stratfor and lbo-talk (besides our political views, of course) is that they can read the local papers in a lot more languages. And read the defense weeklies the way Doug reads the financial papers. So all that's keeping us from ipo-ing ourself is a dozen courses from Berlitz :o)]

[www.stratfor.com/world]

1800 GMT, 990902 Venezuela - Col. Claudio Torchetti, a former

Venezuelan intelligence agent, told the London-based Asharq Al-Awsat

paper that Iraq had financed the presidential campaign of Venezuelan

President Hugo Chavez. The September 1 article stated that under the

terms of the 1994 deal, Chavez promised to foment trouble in South

America in order to "irritate" the U.S. in exchange for Iraqi

financial backing, cooperation in the oil industry and assistance with

chemical and nuclear weapons programs.