GDP is unscientific and unfair for poor people.

Mon Sep 6 07:44:55 PDT 1999

Seth,

Well, I don't think the bourgeois media ( no quotes necessary, because it is bourgeois, don't you think?) is going to change because of what I say. But on e-mail, most of what is said is not going to change the bourgeois media.

The point here, as usual, is criticizing GDP. Obviously, if we could change it, the idea would be to replace it or couple it with an indicator that demonstrated some of the distribution of wealth. You might want to develop an indicator of Destruction, as well. The military "production" included in GDP, is not actually "productive". But further, left economists should constantly criticize its inadequacies.

Charles

>>> Seth Ackerman <SAckerman at FAIR.org> 09/03/99 06:16PM >>>
Charles, what makes you think that the "bourgeois media" will cover the economy any better if you or I stop using the concept of GDP? If the media want to cover economics badly, they'll do it with or without the NIPA accounts. By abandoning GDP, you won't enlighten the working class, you'll just make it harder to understand economics.

Seth