Ju-chang's "Solution" to SEA's Financial Crisis

Mon Sep 6 08:00:53 PDT 1999

Gee, is everybody on LBO a Marxist ? Coulda fooled me. I thought non-Marxist economics was discussable on this list.

I'm not even sure that Doug Henwood terms himself a Marxist economist. He certainly seems to discuss economics from the standpoint of Keynes sometimes.

Then Hayek is discussed all the time.

Maybe your Eurocentrism that you are unusally hostile to a non-European who deviates from Marxism, but not so to Europeans who deviate from Marxism.

Charles Brown

>>> Stephen E Philion <philion at hawaii.edu> 09/03/99 08:51PM >>>
Here is comments from Ju-chang on the effect of the Asian financial crisis on CHina and ways South East Asian countries can solve their problems. In a nutshell, more free market ideology is Ju-Chang's solution.

Steve

>From Ju-chang's homepage:

3. China was not affected by this crisis, because it adopted strict

control over its currency. Mr. Soros had got no way to borrow

Renminbi yuan from the international banks. Without Renminbi yuan

in hand, he is not able to speculate in Renminbi yuan.

4. In order to prevent the occurrence of similar financial crisis in

Southeast Asia, countries the world over should give up fixed

exchange rate as soon as possible and continue carrying out free

market economic policy.

Charles, help me out with this, I'm just too damned Eurocentric to figure out what he means I guess and how this meshes with a Marxist critique of political economy....despite my fluency in Chinese and friendship with serious Marxists in China....Unfortunately, Ju-chang aint one of em...

Compare this crap with the rich analysis of a Raymond Lau in *Capital and Class* and other journals...Lau is the kind of stuff we should be discussing on this list, not this more of the same crap.

Steve