Yugoslavia

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 9 17:21:52 PDT 1999

Elena:
>Sidebar: just curious, who would you recommend to send your greetings to re:
>blackmail going on in post-war Yugoslavia (the real one), corrupting
>whatever opposition there's now left by coercing it to strike a deal with
>EU, etc? That, or "let them freeze to death" (doug's post, i think)?

There is no easy solution to this. I've been involved (locally, in Columbus, OH, USA) in anti-US/NATO-intervention activities (mainly protests and teach-ins) nearly throughout the process of the dismemberment of Yugoslavia, but it's been always an uphill struggle. Even those liberal to left activists on whom we can normally count for getting involved have been hesitant to join us; at the same time, many Americans don't care much about what doesn't seem to affect them directly -- the deaths and deprivations in Yugoslavia, Iraq, etc. hardly concern them. Worse, a significant number of liberals and leftists have (if ambivalently) supported or failed to forcefully oppose the NATO bombings of Yugoslavia. That's where we are at, reduced to frustrating impotence.

How do we go about lifting sanctions and aiding struggling peoples in Iraq, Yugoslavia, and elsewhere? We ought to discuss that.

Yoshie