Cyber Yugoslavia

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 10 06:59:41 PDT 1999

At 07:30 PM 9/9/99 -0400, Yoshie wrote:
>website. One annoying tendency in this philosophy is to abstract from real
>conditions of homelessness, exile, political repression, marginalization,
>deprivation, etc. and then to put forward the concept of "homelessness" as
>if it were an existentialist predicament of the "human conditions." In my
>view, this rhetoric of postmodernism obscures real sufferings.

Would not that be true of most of the "culturalist" or "religious" Left that manufactures "imaginary revolutiuonary psycho-dramas" (to use Jacoby's term) in lieu of real political action?

As I mentioned Jacoby -- I just received the following opinion re. his latest book "The End of Utopia" from another Lefty (and more culturalist than lbo-talk) listserv. I know, I know, Jacoby is not kosher in the Left circles - but if his book (I have not read it yet) is saying saying what the enclosed excerpts suggests, does not he have a point?

wojtek

encl.

I was curious if anyone on the list has read Russell Jacoby's latest book: The End of Utopia: Politics and Culture in an Age of Apathy and what your thoughts are on it. I found it hilarious in places, especially in the instances where he illustrated the practical outcomes of some of the excesses of "post-al" thought. In this regard, the spirit of the book reminded me of E.P. Thompson's scathing polemic against Althusser in the Poverty of Theory. But most importantly, I think Jacoby's underlying message is a valid one--that it just may be time to rethink those ideas bequeathed to us by the enlightenment (but of course radicalized in the enlightenment's rebellious child--Marx) as we approach the dawning of a new millennium and rescue them from the abyss created by so-called radical intellectuals who, in Thompson's words, "perform imaginary revolutionary psycho-dramas (in which each outbids the other in adopting ferocious verbal postures) while . . . reproducing continually the elitist division of theory and practice." Any thoughts on Jacoby?