Cyber Yoshie

elena spectra at elits.rousse.bg
Fri Sep 10 09:38:52 PDT 1999

>elena - with all due respect, only in the topsy turvy world of eastern
>european priviligentsia survival and fear of physical harm accounts for
>nothing and politics - for everything.

And only in a topsy-turvy world you let this initial lack of political motivation stop you from trying to turn it in the right direction? Never said these are concerns that do NOT count; only that they were left in the lurch.

>a few years ago, i had a conversation with a polish university professor
>who staunchly supported the dismantling of state-owned farms. when i
>pointed to her many negative social consequences of that politically
>motivated move, she ardently replied "why should i support inefficient
>farming with my taxes."
>
>That sentence epitomizes the state of mind of the eastern european
>schmoozing class - paper pushers "supporting" food producers. as i see it,
>they are in a dire need of a forced labor camp - just as bat'ushka Stalin
>prescribed.
>
>wojtek (self-hating paper pusher)

Woijtek, it COULD become a political protest - and not remain just a discardable chain of shouting meetings! People who went to these meetings had very different views- many had voted blue /pro-UDF/, many were non-voters; the media (state-owned TV and radio, foreign-funded private radios and TV channels and papers, awkward independent more or less self-funding) turned a blind eye; and although there were smaller but more aggressive crowds shouting "red trash", people still went to the meetings. It was a pity to lose such an opportunity to focus their concerns on the proper target Instead, there was resolute left silence (well, not quite, but the meetings anti-nato were reported along the dioxin scandal and repercussions of Monica's scandal). The EuroLeft's Al. Tomov expressed his "disappointment at Nato's boms killing civillians". He's too intelligent to think NATO is a charity organisation. Yet even the redder left used "collateral damage" and similar expressions instead of, at least, call things their names. At one of the local meetings, a BSP guy said "We have to make people understand that not all Serbs are criminals". I told him he has to understand that not all people are the idiots he imagines them to be. Do you call that viable opposition? OK, this is anecdotal; but nothing happened even when the opposition to Nato's attack on Yugoslavia kept for weeks around and above 50% of population. But you know that, so what were you actually trying to say? and what's "schmoozing", anyway? Perhaps your a polish university professor changed her mind or emigrated? Re: what she said: as incomes drop (acad included), it looks like we hear less and less of this here?