Graying Professoriate (from the Chronicle of Higher Ed)

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Sep 12 09:59:13 PDT 1999

As a graying professor myself, I can say that Yoshie is correct. The history of my own department is rather typical. It grew like wildfire during the 60s and 70s. A few of us have retired and a few dinasauers like me are still staying on. The retirements have not led to new hires but attrition. As a result, we cannot hire anybody.

In economics, the fact that we cannot hire anybody young is not terribly tragic in the sense that the person that we would hire would be quite conservative.

Young progressives seem to get hired only at small liberal arts and Catholic colleges from what I have seen. --

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael at ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901