Graying Professoriate (from the Chronicle of Higher Ed)

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sun Sep 12 14:09:59 PDT 1999

Nathan, I knew that you were not referring to CSU. Your position reinforces the popular conception that the universities are a hotbed of lazy tenured radicals.

I sympathize with what you are trying to do, but I think that your method will not be productive.

After I left Berkeley, I recall that some of the students approached Phil Leveen, who is a very warm person. They said that they wanted to learn more radical stuff. Since he was the only open person in the department, they sort of demanded that he move to the left. It worked -- although the story had a sad end, since Phil was eased out of the university.

The point is, as always, organize. Approach the professors. Some will be open. Organize more, then organize. You, of all people, know about this. -- Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University Chico, CA 95929

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu