East Timor and Kosovo

Eric Beck rayrena at accesshub.net
Mon Sep 13 06:53:58 PDT 1999

Angela wrote:

>to keep reminding people, this is what has been decided:
>
>' In a national television address, Habibie said he wanted to end the
>crisis in the former Portuguese colony. ''I have made the decision to
>give our approval to a peacekeeping force together with the Indonesian
>military to maintain the security of East Timor,'' he said '. [from
>the AAP]
>
>note: "peacekeeping force together with the Indonesian military".
>
>you can draw your own implications. mine are still pessimistic.

This, from today's Washington Post, might confirm your pessimism, with the semi-qualification OZ must have the final say:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/indonesia/stories/troops0913 99.htm

<quote>

Australian officials, as well as White House national security adviser Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger, said that a cooperative arrangement between the Indonesian military and the peace force would be welcome, as long as clear lines of authority are established with Australian officers in charge. A senior White House official said he was encouraged by the fact that Habibie did not offer any criticism of an Australian-led force, as opposed to one led by Asians, in his statement Sunday.

"My view is that we should work with the Indonesians in a cooperative fashion," Clinton told reporters. "Perhaps they should have some parallel presence even, but they should not be able to say who is in or not in the force and what the structure of the force will be."

</quote>