driving to the poor house?

Wed Sep 15 07:05:37 PDT 1999

Before that they had debtors' prisons.

Charles Brown

>>> Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> 09/14/99 04:53PM >>>
"Poorhouse" does not mean "welfare office." Historically it was a quite literal designation in early 20th century u.s. (probably going back to the 19th c.) -- it was a literal *house* maintained by the county government to commit paupers to. I'm not sure when the literal institution disappeared, but at least in the late 1930s to which my memory stretches when people spoke of fearing to go to the poor house they were being quite literal.

The statement Kelly quotes probably goes back to mid-century at least. I doubt that its origins can be discovered.

Carrol