East Timor, Clinton, & the World Bank

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 16 06:43:59 PDT 1999

Peter Van Heusden wrote:
>As Carrol and Yoshie have repeatedly pointed out, we are in no sense
>actors at this stage. When we consent to support imperialist armed forces
>(necessarily Australian in this context), we in no sense develop the
>working class as a (collective) actor. We should consider these questions
>not as abstract theoretical questions (and I would argue that it is pretty
>clear that C and Y, despite opponents' claims to the contrary, have not
>considered these questions in an abstract theoretical fashion), but as a
>guide to action. We should identify the actors involved in the current
>situation, and assess what our interventions may be, and what the results
>of these interventions might be.

I don't know if it makes sense to try to talk to Chris B seriously on questions such as this. On PEN-L, he's recently astonished progressive economists subbed to it by his dialectical thought that 'a proposal for the IMF to become autonomous' of the member governments is a progressive one that leftists should support. The following samples PEN-L responses to the inimitable Chris Burford Thought:

*****

*****
>>Charles Brown wrote:
>>
>>>But doesn't the central committee of the dictatorship of the
>>>bourgeoisie sit above both the IMF and its member governments,
>>>really , anyway ?
>>>"Who" is the IMF ?
>
>Doug:
>
>>"The IMF is a toy of the United States to pursue its economic policy
>>offshore." - MIT econ prof Rudi Dornbusch (the same guy who said that
>>the upside of the Asian crisis was that Korea became a wholly owned
>>subsidiary of the U.S. Treasury)
*****

To me, the virtue of the Chris Burford Thought lies in its predictability, be it on the IMF or the Aussie-led 'peace-keepers.'

Yoshie