Internet Radio

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 17 07:09:56 PDT 1999

David Jennings [MSAI] wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Tom Lehman wrote:
>
> >Doug, I was able to listen to about 80% of your interview with the
> >bankruptcy lady yesterday and then the connection went dead. I didn't
> >catch her name and you were having some technical difficulties with the
> >tape. Why don't you talk to WBAI about taking internet radio seriously.
>
>A setup like Pacifica et al has on the webactive site would be
>very useful. There the realaudio files are kept up for a day or week so
>that one can listen to shows at one's convenience. This is especially
>nice for us out here in the sticks who don't have access to quality radio
>otherwise. (If I hear one more NPR story on white female entrepreneurs or
>the dot.com revolution, I'm going ballistic.)

The management of WBAI, specifically in the person of station manager Valerie Van Isler, refuses to take webcasting seriously. Either this is Luddism, timidity, or a conviction that the station's going to be sold or transformed so why bother - no one knows.

The "bankruptcy lady" is the excellent Elizabeth Warren of the Harvard Law School.

Doug