global riot!

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Sep 17 07:24:01 PDT 1999

Yep, stay away from the turgid Bookchin, especially his later stuff. I would suggest ordering a catalog from AK Press, which is the largest anarchist publisher in North America. Their website is http://www.akpress.org/

I would also suggest another project that I'm involved with, Spunk Library, which has thousands of anarchist essays, articles, books, and images online. The URL for Spunk is http://www.spunk.org/

As for specific books, you can check out the bibliography section of Spunk (http://www.spunk.org/cat-us/biblio.html) which includes a bibliography I wrote in library school. I suggest reading the following, for a 14-year-old:

* The Dispossesed by Ursula le Guin * Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell * Animal Farm by George Orwell * Anarchy in Action by Colin Ward * Anarchy by Malatesta * Chomsky for Beginners * The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey * Last Days of Christ the Vampire by J.G. Eccarius * The Philosophy of Punk by Craig O'Hara * The People's History of the U.S. by Howard Zinn * Anarchism and Other Essays by Emma Goldman * The Anarchist FAQ (http://www.infoshop.org/faq/index.html)

More challenging * Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord * The Haymarket Tragedy by Paul Avrich * DIY Culture: Party and Protest in Nineties’ Britain by George McKay

hazel blunden wrote:

> 2 books: the Free [fiction] by who I don't know. A tale of an anarchist
> uprising in a contemporary urban setting. Maybe it's set in th future. It
> ends tragically with the state killing a couple of the revolutiuonaries. but
> I liked it when I read it as a young anarchist
> Second, there is some anarchist comic book in the Tintin style. tintin is a
> molotov-cocktail wielding revolutionary. Again, there is an
> uprising.[fiction]. Check your local anarcho book shops - Jura, Black Rose
> in Sydney, Barricade Books in melbourne.
>
> non-fiction theory wise, i can't thinks of any good ones, they all seem to
> be written by the turgid Murray Bookchin.
>
> > > a favour --
> > >
> > > can anyone recommend interesting texts on anarchy/anarchism that would
> >be
> > > accessible to a 14yr old?
> > >
> > > he can effectively read things that are quite complex and abstract, but
> >his
> > > social experience still limits what makes sense to him
> > >
> > > i'd be grateful for any suggestions
> > >
> > > catherine

-- Chuck0

Alternative Press Review http://flag.blackened.net/apr/

Free Leonard Peltier!

"A society is a healthy society only to the degree that it exhibits anarchistic traits."

- Jens Bjørneboe