Peasants protest mutant corn field test

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 02:36:20 PDT 1999

In message <007101bf00e7$a5b04020$5a19050a at jofix2>, Johannes Schneider <Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net> writes
>Jim wrote:
>> Farmers all over the world buy their seed corn
>> rather than growing it. When you plant from your own harvest you get
>> into a pretty rapidly diminishing return.
>Since I am no expert in this field I have to rely on what I hear from the
>media. In a recent report on GM seed Sueddeutsche Zeitung was saying, that
>the rapidly diminishing returns from the farmers own harvest apply ( only )
>to GM seed. In future its planned to have completely sterile seed.
>Could the experts comment?

A friend of mine just returned from India where he interviewed the head of the farmers' association there. Asking him about the 'terminator gene' the farmer laughed and said, 'so what? when your biro runs out, you throw it away, don't you?' He explained: If the bought seed has a yield that is higher than your own seed by a margin that exceeds the cost of the bought seed then you buy the seed. 'It's simple economics!'

-- Jim heartfield