_Nashville_, _Osaka Elegy_, _Virgin Machine_, & _Working Girls_ (was Re: Breakfast of Champions)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 18 15:26:50 PDT 1999

>I think a feminist reading of Nashville, or Altman, would be
>severely flawed, unless of course you think feminism is merely "contempt
>for the male audience."
>Eric

That's one of the few possible feminist responses that the Gwen Welles character could make in that particular scene (in front of dozens of contemptibly boorish men who seek to objectify her). Her contempt defines the scene as feminist. Mizoguchi Kenji's _Naniwa Hika [English title: Osaka Elegy]_ (1936) is also quite interesting along this line, when judged by the standard of its times. Yamada Isuzu's performance overcomes the limits of the script in many ways.

For a joyful, sexy, & feminist lesbian striptease scene, watch Monika Treut's _Die Jungfrauenmaschine [English title: Virgin Machine]_ (1988).

For a realistic portrayal of what sex workers feel about their clients, see Lizzie Borden's _Working Girls_ (1986).

Yoshie