Ideology: _Once an Eagle_ and _Germany Pale Mother_ (was Re: Breakfast of Champions)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Sep 19 10:05:14 PDT 1999

Doug replied to me:
>>The difference between these two films is the
>>presence in _Nashville_ of a perspective that questions men's and the total
>>lack thereof in _M*A*S*H*_.
>
>And it's not the antiwar movie it's cracked up to be. Slavoj Zizek
>says of M*A*S*H:
>
><quote>
>Let us further illustrate this gap between an explicit texture and
>its phantasmic support with an example from cinema. Contrary to its
>misleading appearance, Robert Altman's MASH is a perfectly conformist
>film - for all their mockery of authority, practical jokes and sexual
>escapades, the members of the MASH crew perform their job
>exemplarily, and thus present absolutely no threat to the smooth
>nunning of the military machine. In other words, the cliche which
>regards MASH as an anti-militarist film, depicting the horrors of the
>meaningless military slaughter which can be endured only through a
>healthy measure of cynicism, practical jokes, laughing at pompous
>official rituals, and so on, misses the point - this very distance is
>ideology.
<snip>
>The lesson is therefore clear: an ideological identification exerts a
>true hold on us precisely when we maintain an awareness that we are
>not fully identical to it, that there is a rich human person beneath
>it: 'not all is ideology, beneath the ideological mask, I am also a
>human person' is the very form of ideology, of its 'practical
>efficiency'.
></quote>

Zizek is quite right in the above. Take a look at how the above lesson actually operates within the U.S. military.

***** _NYT_ August 16, 1999

Military Goes by the Book, but It's a Novel

By ELIZABETH BECKER

WASHINGTON -- In a profession whose leaders are known for their devotion to the works of military strategists like Carl von Clausewitz and Sun Tsu, the officers of the U.S. Army and the Marine Corps have quietly chosen a romantic war novel as the truest mirror of their lives and ambitions.

"Once an Eagle," by Anton Myrer, has worked its way over a generation into the mindset and lexicon of the American military, flourishing as a cult classic even as it withered out of print and vanished from most bookstores.

Gen. Henry Shelton, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, says it is the only book he has ever read twice. The Army War College in Carlisle, Pa., recently brought the book back into print because military schools wanted it for courses in ethics and leadership.

When it was first published in 1968, the epic story of an Army officer as honorable as Robin Hood pitted against a fellow officer as self-serving as Prince John became an improbable best seller during the upheaval of those times, its 800 pages tracing the story of the U.S. Army from World War I to the early years of Vietnam. The book eventually sold millions of copies.

For the military, it was not just a book but a revelation.

The protagonist, Sam Damon, is a soldier's soldier, a hard-fighting commander filled with concern for his troops who wins battle after battle in both world wars but is eventually killed on a mission trying to persuade the powers-that-be that the U.S. military should not get involved in Vietnam.

His antagonist, Courtney Massengale, triumphs over Sam Damon by manipulating the political system in Washington and making all the right career moves, even though he disdains the rank-and-file and sends his soldiers into certain death in his first command in World War II.

Not exactly the story you would expect to move the military.

"It's really got a cult following in the Army because Sam Damon is the officer you hope you will be and Courtney Massengale is the officer you hope you don't work for," said Col. Jerry Morelock, a recently retired history professor at the Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where Army officers are trained for higher command.

The book is on the Marine Corps commandants' reading list -- making it required reading for all Marines. The U.S. Army War College holds an annual leadership seminar that uses the book. For West Point cadets, who are assigned the book in classes and seminars, reading "Once an Eagle" has become a rite of passage, much like discovering "Catcher in the Rye" as a teen-ager. Favorite passages are quoted routinely, especially Sam Damon's dying words: "Joey, if it comes to a choice between being a good soldier and a good human being -- try to be a good human being ..."

And the names of Sam Damon and Courtney Massengale have entered the language of the U.S. military as code words for the good officer who thinks first of the troops and the other one who thinks only of personal gain.

When Shelton wants to exclude a candidate from a promotion, all he has to do is tell the board of review: "This is another Courtney Massengale."

"It's a household name and I've used it to say we shouldn't have an individual like that in the ranks -- someone who is motivated for all the wrong reasons, someone you don't want leading the troops," Shelton said.

Sam Damon, on the other hand, is a cult hero whose name has been painted by soldiers on their tanks and whose career and life, including the strain of constant moves and marital strife, are viewed as a mirror of their own.

"I've never been without a copy since college," said Col. Gregg Fontenot, who was a battalion commander in Operation Desert Storm in the Middle East, served in the Bosnia peacekeeping operation and retired this year.

"Several times I've decided what to do after figuring out what Sam would do," Fontenot said. "At mid-career at the staff college at Fort Leavenworth, I agonized whether to go on for a second year of studies. It wasn't stylish in the Army then. But Sam studied military history at night and I wanted to be like Sam. So I stayed."

The novel had special appeal during the Vietnam War.

"The novel arrived just when soldiers needed it," wrote Gen. Sidney Berry, the former superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, who was one of those junior officers in Vietnam. "Many soldiers felt cast-off and unappreciated, sorry for themselves, ashamed of wearing the uniform."

In fact, it rose to become No. 1 on The New York Times list of paperback best sellers in 1976 just as the Army was undergoing an agonizing self-examination after the fall of Saigon, eventually selling more than 3 million copies. And as the captains and colonels of Vietnam became generals in the 1980s and 1990s the novel became their touchstone. In 1976 it was made into a television miniseries of the same name starring Sam Elliott.

But the book went out of print over the next 20 years, forcing places like the West Point Academy bookstore to order $50 editions from reprint companies and to scrounge for copies at second-hand bookstores. The book was reprinted in the mid-1990s, and is available in bookstores.

"The book is something very special for cadets," said Ellen Mohrman, who buys books at the West Point store. "It's the type of book officers give to students they are mentoring, it's that important a book."

The book's author, Myrer, died in 1996 at age 73. He also wrote the novels "The Last Convertible" and "The Big War." Myrer said his combat service in World War II had the greatest impact on his life.

"I enlisted imbued with a rather flamboyant concept of this country's destiny as the leader of a free world and the necessity of the use of armed force," he wrote. "I emerged a corporal three years later in a state of great turmoil, at the core of which was an angry awareness of war as the most vicious and fraudulent self-deception man had ever devised." Some of those antiwar feelings are reflected in "Once an Eagle."

In his introduction to the newest edition, Gen. John Vessey Jr., who is retired and a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, writes that the book ranks with "The Red Badge of Courage" and "All Quiet on the Western Front" as a "consummate antiwar novel."

The book's continuing popularity is also based on a nostalgia for simpler days with obvious heroes and villains, when the armed forces were more completely separate from the civilian world and when "duty, honor and country" really was the soldier's calling. *****

Is it possible to write a novel or make a film that is not caught up in this ideology as Zizek explains? To me, _Deutschland bleiche Mutter [English title: Germany Pale Mother]_ (1980) directed by Helma Sanders-Brahms, for instance, represents such a possibility.

Yoshie