humanitarian imperialism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 19 07:56:34 PDT 1999

Dennis Breslin wrote:

>Hmmm, did the CIA get the better end? I'll bet those that signed on
>feel satisfied. They were fighting the good fight, in their terms.

Let's see. The CIA got several million dead Indochinese and, not long after, the effective end of revolutions in the so-called Third World. The social democrats got...to convince themselves and try to convince others that all these deaths were necessary to fighting the Soviet menace (isn't Russia today a model of what the anti-Communists strived for?) and the subsequent rollback of social democracy around the world. Ok, maybe they got some nice government jobs as consolation.

Doug