'Identity Politics'

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Sep 19 21:51:41 PDT 1999

Angela writes:

>adorno's critique of what he calls 'identitarian thinking' is perhaps
>the best place to begin for understanding the practices and suppositions
>of an identity politics (with whatever identity you like to pin to
>that), and it certainly has nothing to do with women, blacks, lesbians,
>... unless you want to continue assuming another identity politics as
>the unexplored, and universal identity (humanity, Man, proletariat as
>the universal class, etc) upon which all other identities are rendered
>insufficient, inadequate, etc.

Sure, but... as this is exactly the way The Law etc. conceive of subjects, doesn't that necessitate politics recognisable to that conception? in fact, nothing else is likely to be heard in many areas in which things need to be accomplished now. refusing identity seems highly desirable, but we don't actually live without identities do we? and there aren't really many possibilities for avoiding the unexplored universal subject of the law are there?

catherine