'Alienation' & Translation (was Re: Adorno & Translation)

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Sep 20 00:37:43 PDT 1999

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Dennis R Redmond wrote:
>
> >As a rule, Entfremdung means alienation; Entaeusserung means
> >concretization, disclosure, with the connotation of a
> >subjectively-mediated objectification.
>
> But Entäusserung also carries the other English meaning of
> "alienation" - parting with property, right?

Yup, as in divestment or relinquishing something, which I think is an archaic or old-fashioned usage; as a philosophic term it has this connotation of actualization, self-realization. The German word "veraeussern", to dispose of or to alienate (in the juridical sense) may come closer to what you're getting at.

-- Dennis