Wiranto sings

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 20 11:27:49 PDT 1999

[bounced for an address oddity]

From: jeff.downing at harcourt.com Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:04:54 -0500

>From Greil Marcus' column in today's Salon:

Associated Press, "Music, the Universal Language," Sept. 13

"After a week of chaos and terror in East

Timor, Indonesia's powerful military boss sang

'Feelings' yesterday to show why he can't walk

away from the independence-minded province.

"To cheers from retired military officers at a

party, Defense Minister Gen. Wiranto

dedicated the song to foreign journalists: 'I

hope you have the same feelings, like me, for East Timor.'

"His eyebrows arched in restrained emotion, Wiranto held the

microphone in both hands and stood stiffly in a yellow batik shirt

and crooned as a band played the l975 hit popularized by Paul

Williams:

"'Feelings, nothing more than feelings ...'"

I can't go on. This is just too sick. You always knew the song

was rotten, but evil?