car-free Europe

Mon Sep 20 12:02:44 PDT 1999

>>> Jim heartfield <jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk> 09/20/99 02:09PM >>
Isn't it curious that the car has only become widely criticised at the point that it became cheap enough to become a working class consumption good, as opposed to a middle class luxury item?

Charles: Looking at this one more time, I understand your idea here to be that the ruling class or a section of it is behind this criticism of the car. I'm all for believing in bourgeois machinations against the interest of the working class. But what are you saying ? That one section of the bourgeoisie is trying to undermine another section, the car manufacturers and oil producers ( a pretty powerful section) ? And how does this "environmentalist" section of the bourgeoisie profit from undermining the car/oil industry ?

CB