Dennis, Alex, Bill, Stephen

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Tue Sep 21 09:02:33 PDT 1999

alex lantsberg wrote:

> Amazing, that you cannot hear the Gradgrind austerity in your own
> comments. Keep the costs down! the workers are consuming too much! More?
> What do you mean more, boy? From whose perspective are the funds running
> out? From the perspective of the ruling class, for whom all expenditure
> on working class consumption is a waste.
>
> jim, you are clinging to the misguided belief that more consumption equals more prosperity.

Make room, Jim, I want to cling there too. And I suspect that pretty much everyone outside the upper-middle classes of the first world feels the same way. That's roughly 96% of world population, so that belief is going to get pretty crowded.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique